Must See super energy-efficient home on 40 acres on Log Hill Mesa with spectacular views of both the Sneffels and Cimmaron ranges, and the Grand Mesa to the north. The header image on this page was taken from this home (yep, zoomed in a bit so you can see the approximate level of detail we see with the naked eye).
Designed by us in a modern Prairie style, and built by a craftsman Montrose builder, this 2-level home has two upstairs master suites plus a combination downstairs guest/media room with a super comfortable Murphy bed. The wide open floor plan sports a huge kitchen plus large pantry with tons of cabinet and storage space, and an enormous 2-1/2 car garage (the half is designed for ATVs, motorcycles, bikes with their own roll-up door) with numerous storage shelves, lots of lighting and workbench. A 240V (14-50) plug is ready for your hybrid or electric car to plug in.
A covered upstairs deck affords amazing views for summer dinner and cocktails. Multi-zone in-floor heating is supplemented by lots of solar gain in winter, yet the house is shielded by extra-wide overhangs in summer. The house has 6kW of solar panels (see photo above), with battery backup for critical loads (see details below).
The full 40-acre lot is kept mostly wild — no mowing or watering needed! And speaking of water, this home is in the Tri-County Water Conservancy district, which provides fabulous water at a reasonable price. If you’re looking farther south on the mesa, know that Dallas Creek Water District is by far the most expensive in the state; $80/month is pretty typical (our water bills are usually less than $25 for two months!) Still, to save water (and energy), both our master baths have on-demand pumps to bring hot water up to the taps without one drop going down the drain.
The house is on the west side of the county road, which means any dust thrown up by passing cars doesn’t end up at the house. It’s close enough to not have to wend your way around to get to the road, but far enough away to keep things quiet and private!
We also specified extra insulation in the floors, walls, and ceilings and even between the rooms for extra efficiency and quiet. And there are hardwood bamboo floors throughout.
An accessory 312 sq ft yurt provides extra guest or rental space (which makes the separate propane tank handy). The house is also specifically designed and built to be fire resistant, and fire mitigation has already been done under the supervision of Colorado State Forest Service professionals. The Mesa, by the way, also has its own (very good!) fire department.
Extra amenities include in-ceiling speaker system, ceiling fans, custom-made alder wood cabinetry throughout, crown molding, a spectacular soaking tub with a mountain view in one master bath and a 4×6′ shower in the other, hipped metal roof, large dining room accommodates an 8′ table, broadband Internet, a greenhouse that could be a playhouse or office, ample parking, walk-in closets, four-panel doors, double-pane windows, and nine-foot ceilings on both floors.
Did I mention this one’s a must-see?!
About the Yurt: Made locally (in Montrose), the yurt is 20′ in diameter, or 314 sq. ft. It has a bathroom with shower (plumbed into the house’s main septic tank), power, and heat fueled by its own propane tank — and, for good measure, there’s a pipe to the main house propane tank if you prefer. We lived in the yurt Fall 2003 through Spring 2004 while the house was being built. The outer canvas of the yurt is thus getting weathered: we can replace the skin for you, or you may prefer to remove the yurt and, since it’s already set for plumbing and power, replace it with a stick-built guest house.
- 2,379 square feet (per county records), plus an attached 870 sq. ft. garage with huge amounts of storage shelving (and a work bench), plus a covered upstairs deck, plus a covered entry patio and carport, plus a bonus greenhouse/ playhouse out front, plus the 300+ sq. ft. yurt (office space or guest house)!
- Two large master suites with to-die-for bathrooms and walk-in closets, plus a combination bedroom/guestroom/media room (with full bath and walk-in closet). The owners use the main (larger) master as an office, and the second master is their bedroom. (He’s a writer who gets inspiration from the mountain views, she’s a consultant/coach who uses the yurt as an office.)
- Spectacular views of the Sneffels range (south), the Cimmaron range (east), Grand Mesa (north), and Horsefly (southwest): don’t choose, see it all!
- 6kW of solar generation is specifically tuned to produce the most during winter months — which for our use (and remember: the owner offices here) banks enough power to keep electric bills to minimum “maintenance” levels (less than $25/month) all the way into summer. The free-standing system, which provides battery backup to critical loads (fridge/freezer, boiler, main master bedroom), can be upgraded should you need even more power generation. This feature alone will save you about $1,500/year in costs. (And do you think maybe electric rates might go up over the years?!)
- Hardwood (bamboo) floors throughout — even in the closets.
- Dream kitchen with huge amounts of cabinet and counter-top space, plus a massive walk-through pantry with even more cabinet and counter-top space.
- Custom alder cabinets throughout: kitchen, pantry, bathrooms.
- Built-in custom alder window seats/bookcases below south-facing windows in main master suite and living room.
- Multi-zone in-floor radiant heat with high-efficiency boiler (which happens to also do a great job of ensuring the garage never freezes).
- It’s dark here: you can see the Milky Way at night!
- Metal roof, stucco exterior.
- Gigantic garage has a separate roll-up door for ATVs, motorcycles, or sports car, multiple storage shelves, and a work bench.
- Professionally installed fire/burglar alarm system monitored 24×7 by local alarm company.
- Located in the Ridgway School district (and they have bus service), and quick access to Montrose (20 minutes away) for groceries or airport trips.
- No homeowner association, covenants, or restrictions to tell you how to live. You can even have horses or livestock if you wish.
- High-speed Internet available. (We currently have 15 MBPS from a local provider, but higher speeds are available.) Ethernet cabling built-in (though a WiFi access point in the “network closet” covers the entire house very well).
- In-house booster installed for Verizon cell phones (repointable for AT&T/T-Mobile/Sprint coverage if preferred).
- Main house has buried 1,000-gallon propane tank (you own it, so you can shop around for the best propane price). Yurt has its own 500-gallon tank (you own it for the same reason).
- Gas range, separate fridge/freezer, high-efficiency washer/dryer, high-efficiency dishwasher, whole-house attic fan, and whole-house water filter system all included.
- Toilets are Australian dual-flush for super-low water use, yet they really flush well! (They can easily flush down multiple tennis balls — it’s wild to see that in a showroom.)
- Ceiling fans in all bedrooms and living room. In-ceiling speaker system in both master suites, living room, and between the kitchen and dining room (wires home runs to guest room/media room), all with individual volume controls.
- Landline phone service available, should you be among those who haven’t switched to cell only (not currently installed).
- Yes, you can absolutely get UPS and FedEx deliveries here! Amazon Prime is our longtime friend. 🙂
- Are you a skier/outdoor recreation fan? We’re not just an hour from Telluride Resort’s free parking: we’re also just under two hours from the Powderhorn (Grand Mesa) and Purgatory (Durango) resorts. And we’re just over two hours from Crested Butte, three hours from Aspen, and under four hours from Vail. We’re also just 45 minutes from the Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park, and about three hours from Mesa Verde National Park. Not to mention just 30 minutes from Ouray’s world class Ice Climbing park. Plus, you can see multiple 14,000′ mountain peaks. There’s a lot to do here, summer and winter.
- If you wish, rights to this web domain and the on-site weather station can be included in the purchase.
Asking Price: $739,767
Click any photo to enlarge, or to scroll through them, with captions.